The blog's under construction now.
Things might look really ugly, so ugly that you'll want to ball your eyes out.
So read at your own risk.
Announcement Box

Hey there, thanks for visiting. The construction work for the blog has just finished except for one thing and that's the lounge section, as always. (For some reason, it's always incomplete)
For old viewers, here are what I've did to my blog, in case you didn't notice:
- removed Archive page cause it's high maintenance
- changed the gallery to an Instagram feed
- installed FontAwesome
- created a Music Player for the lounge, no longer do you need to look at millions of play buttons, just click and play
- newly written About page
- header image can now be changed but only for Home and inside of posts, toggle it away with the up arrow if you need to
- added different header images for all other pages
Have fun reading about me whining. ;)

Japorized

Nov 4, 2010

Pathetic - Futile - Misery

The worldwide well-known and welcomed-by-all consultant detective, Sherlock Holmes, under the perfect description of Sir Aurthur Conan Doyle, a fantasy and a miracle to all and every readers. Even though as a book of scientific affairs and crime investigation, I found that a quote had taken deep prints into me.

Pathetic and futile. But is not all life pathetic and futile? Is not his story a microcosm of the whole? We reach. We grasp. And what is left in our hands at the end? A shadow. Or worse than a shadow - misery.

Of all what Holmes had said, the words above had struck me hard and left a deep cut in my memory. Simple words, born from a mouth of a man of a scientific head, probably words that weigh a thousand pounds.

Truth be told that I'm quite lucky cause I have the original copy of Sherlock Holmes form the late 19th century. The language level (of course it's English) is from the same time, the 19th century English. To be exact, if not well prepared in this language, you might not get what the author is narrating, and end up not knowing the contents of the story. I'm lucky as I'm trained to read English (I'm a Chinese) since infancy (heh-heh...).

And here's another quote that I like from the book:
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Ah... The well-known sentence, and of value to his fans. The law of deduction, and at it's most basic (cause there's an elementary level of deduction). I, personally, had taken the quote as an important lesson. Frankly writing (cause I'm not speaking), I'm actually quite a sharp thinker comparing to most of my friends (note that I'm not blowing my own trumpet). With this deducting element, I have solved many of my own problems and of course, in mind games like Sudoku and such. Pretty, in sum of one word.

Well, I don't really have anything to say, to be exact. Just that I got too boring and wanted to do something to spice up the day. And what's more? I'm introducing you all to an interesting book (if you haven't read or even heard of it). Try getting the original article and not the reprise version of it. Good day to you and hope you enjoy the book (if you have it).

No comments :

Post a Comment